I've registered! Why is my post moderated?

Any ideas, suggestions, questions, or gripes you might have about forum operations go here.

I've registered! Why is my post moderated?

Postby BobR » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:44 pm

No doubt you noticed that your first post to the forum said it was waiting for approval from a moderator (probably me!) Rest assured this is only the final step in the security vetting. First posts are moderated to prevent sneaky spammer types from getting an account and then spamming the forums immediately. Once your first post appears, you'll be able to post immediately to the forums. If you'd like to respond to several other posts while waiting for your first moderation approval, go right ahead. Your other posts will appear as soon as the moderator says okay on that first one.
Wearing my mask, looking like a bear! I'm a raccoon!!
BobR
Site Admin

Re: I've registered! Why is my post moderated?

Postby BobR » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:43 am

I had an interesting occurrence happen in the Forums a couple days ago. I had a reasonable reply post appear from a newbie, which I approved for posting. His next 10 posts were totally spam. Fortunately, I had not yet removed him from the "Newly Registered" group, so none of those posts came through to the board. But, this means I will not be approving newly registered users immediately for posting without moderation. It'll take more than one post, and I'll be evaluating them for both content and interactivity.

Second, there appears to be a bug in the post counting routine in that it only seems to count posts made by fully registered users, not those approved in the Newly Registered group. I use the post count along with the date registered to control which accounts get pruned from time to time (registered after a certain date and post count equals zero.) This means that some Newly Registered users with approved posted comments may accidentally be pruned (deleted) if I don't catch their name in the prune list. I try to check it thoroughly to prevent that, but I can miss things. My apologies if that happens to you. Please remember that it's not intentional in any way

So for you newly registered users, don't be afraid to post and interact with the other forumites (ooh, sounds like an alien race in a sci-fi movie!) We don't bite, I promise. And I have my spritzer bottle if the barking gets too loud. 8-)
BobR
Site Admin

Postby Adamis » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:21 am

Uh, sorry to ask but apparently I've had at least one message posted and I'm still not "activated"... Is there something I missed ?
Adamis

Postby BobR » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:38 pm

Adamis wrote:Uh, sorry to ask but apparently I've had at least one message posted and I'm still not "activated"... Is there something I missed ?

From the post right above yours, "It'll take more than one post, and I'll be evaluating them for both content and interactivity." You're approved.
BobR
Site Admin

Postby Adamis » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:38 pm

Oh thanks. Sorry I must have skipped that line.
Adamis

Postby Nestor » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:35 pm

Just wondering - do we have a certain time limit to post our first few posts in? I was just wondering as I'd only posted in one topic so far, but hadn't seen an opening for me to join in another one - I didn't want to just post for the sake of posting but also didn't want to leave it so long between posts that my account gets flagged as suspicious!
Nestor

Postby Ken Penders » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:45 pm

Welcome to the board, Nestor. The reason the initial posts require approval is that we want to make sure we're dealing with a live person as opposed to a Bot. Please feel free to post questions and comments. All I ask is that what you post is both constructive and civil. If you have a criticism, that's okay. I really am interested in what you have to say. And in that spirit, have fun.

If there are any further problems posting, please let us know. It just may take a day or two to get back due to our very busy schedules. Thanks.
Ken Penders
Site Admin

Postby Nestor » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:15 pm

Many thanks Ken! My posts have appeared now - am I right in thinking that other privileges like being able to create your own topics and Avatars are unlocked gradually as your post count increases?
Nestor

Return to Ask the Admin!