THE LARA-SU CHRONICLES: NEW WORLD ORDER

A quick glance at what Ken has in the production pipeline.

Re: THE LARA-SU CHRONICLES: NEW WORLD ORDER

Postby Mavrickindigo » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:29 am

Ken Penders wrote:@beavercartoon:

Sonic's not a "funny animal" comic, hasn't been since what? Issue 25?

I hate to be the one to tell you there's no Santa Claus or Easter Bunny, but the comics industry in general - and Marvel and DC fans in particular - regard Sonic as a "funny animal" comic. It's the Rodney Dangerfield of comic book series as far as the industry as a whole is concerned, winning respect only begrudgingly due to the sole fact it's still being published after all these years. And I say this as someone who has fought the battles for respect on behalf of the book and my colleagues who worked alongside with me on the book.

Despite the fact Sonic has outsold - and continues to outsell - a number of DC and Marvel titles, it's never going to be thought of alongside Batman and Spider-Man or other long-lived titles in the same breath. Even a segment of Sonic fans are quick to say the comic series doesn't matter when compared to the games.

I'm in total agreement with you how the book SHOULD be thought of, but I know the reality.

Doesn't it really only matter what the paying fans think the comic is? Marvel and DC don't even know how to properly make their own comics, their opinions are pretty worthless in the eyes of the consumers
My Deviantart
If you like the Lara-Su Chronicles, I would like to hear why. I will genuinely listen to you
Mavrickindigo

Postby BobR » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:23 pm

Oh I agree with everything you say, Beaver. But that's not the way most in the industry see Sonic or any comic that consists of anthropomorphic animals. Ken describes the attitude quite well. And to understand how pervasive that view is, even Jeffrey Katzenberg apologized to directors Roger Allers and Rob Minkoff for assigning them to a "funny animal" movie. Perhaps you've heard of it: "The Lion King."
Wearing my mask, looking like a bear! I'm a raccoon!!
BobR
Site Admin

Postby beavercartoon » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:16 pm

Wow, that's a sad attitude they have then. The Lion King is a brilliantly animated, wonderfully complex movie that kids and adults can relate to. Maybe they thought "Hamlet with lions" would be a ridiculous concept to pitch, but it works well as a Shakespeare homage and also stands on its own as a good family film.

I would think that both the subject matter and the way the writers/directors approach the matter would determine whether something was a funny animal series or not. Like Cats Don't Dance is an allegory about race relations in Hollywood so it goes beyond funny animal film. But My Gym Partner Is A Monkey is just a wacky cartoon series that doesn't really delve into any deeper issues, nor does it pretend to.

Funny animal series doesn't have to be a bad genre, there will always be a market for it, mostly among kids. But I think it does animation and comics in general a disservice to lump everything starring animals or anthropomorphic characters into the funny animal category. (Or imply it's always inferior compared to realistic art.) I've seen live action dramas that were very clever, but I've also watched films that didn't move me anywhere near as much as The Lion King did. Maleficent is the most recent live action dud I've sat through, it's charmless compared to Disney's earlier works.
beavercartoon

Postby jameygamer » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:22 am

beavercartoon wrote:Wow, that's a sad attitude they have then. The Lion King is a brilliantly animated, wonderfully complex movie that kids and adults can relate to. Maybe they thought "Hamlet with lions" would be a ridiculous concept to pitch, but it works well as a Shakespeare homage and also stands on its own as a good family film.

I would think that both the subject matter and the way the writers/directors approach the matter would determine whether something was a funny animal series or not. Like Cats Don't Dance is an allegory about race relations in Hollywood so it goes beyond funny animal film. But My Gym Partner Is A Monkey is just a wacky cartoon series that doesn't really delve into any deeper issues, nor does it pretend to.

Funny animal series doesn't have to be a bad genre, there will always be a market for it, mostly among kids. But I think it does animation and comics in general a disservice to lump everything starring animals or anthropomorphic characters into the funny animal category. (Or imply it's always inferior compared to realistic art.) I've seen live action dramas that were very clever, but I've also watched films that didn't move me anywhere near as much as The Lion King did. Maleficent is the most recent live action dud I've sat through, it's charmless compared to Disney's earlier works.
Oh goody! Richard Roeper and I aren't the only ones out there who hated that movie! I'm just going to take one of Katzenberg's quotes from "Waking Sleeping Beauty" and say, "It didn't work at all."

The bad news is, they're making a sequel.

Anyway, you take a series like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles as a "funny animal" series? I heard the original comic was anything but.
jameygamer

Postby jameygamer » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:23 am

beavercartoon wrote:Wow, that's a sad attitude they have then. The Lion King is a brilliantly animated, wonderfully complex movie that kids and adults can relate to. Maybe they thought "Hamlet with lions" would be a ridiculous concept to pitch, but it works well as a Shakespeare homage and also stands on its own as a good family film.

Oh goody! Richard Roeper and I aren't the only ones out there who hated that movie! I'm just going to take one of Katzenberg's quotes from "Waking Sleeping Beauty" and say, "It didn't work at all."

The bad news is, they're making a sequel.

Anyway, you take a series like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles as a "funny animal" series? I heard the original comic was anything but.
jameygamer

Postby jameygamer » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:27 am

Sorry about the double post.
jameygamer

Previous

Return to Ken's Latest Projects